The figure of Germania adorned with imperial crown and sword stands on the 38-metre tall Niederwald Monument keeping watch over the vineyards of Rüdesheim and the River Rhine. Designed by the Dresden sculptor Johannes Schilling, the monument was completed in 1883 and symbolises the re-establishment of the German Empire following the Franco-Prussian War in 1870 / 71. The location offers some of the best panoramic views over the Rhine and Nahe valleys.
The temple built by Graf von Ostein in 1788 offers outstanding views of the surrounding area and was a great favourite of the writers of the Rhine Romanticism movement. The temple remains one of the most beautiful
viewing points in the Rhine Valley and is close to the Niederwald Monument.
Niederwald Enchanted Cave
The enchanted cave is a 60-metre long tunnel that opens into a rotunda and dates back to 1790. At the time, the passageway would have glittered and the intention was to lead visitors through the dark out into the bright daylight where magnificent views of the Rhine would open out before them. The Cave is closed in winter.
Ruin of the Rossel
The “Rossel” is an artificial ruin situated at the Niederwald’s highest point. It was erected by Graf von Ostein in 1774. The old walls offer a spectacular view of the mouth of the River Nahe and Binger Loch and are a popular resting place on the “Rheinsteig” long distance footpath.
Brömserburg Castle was the property of the Archbishops of Mainz from the early 10th century until the beginning of the 19th century. During the 12th century they converted the old fortress into a castle residence. The two metre thick walls repelled every attack. Only the
south-eastern part was destroyed during the Thirty Years’ War. The
castle was inhabited until 1937. Brömserburg Castle is currently under
renovation. Reopening with a new concept is scheduled for 2021.
The tower of Boosenburg Castle (Oberburg Castle) not only dates from the 9th century but is also the town’s tallest building. The Romanesque keep lies almost directly adjacent to Brömserburg Castle. The estate is now privately owned and not open to the public.
The complex, constructed at the beginning of the 13th century by order of the Archbishop of Mainz Siegfried II von Eppstein, bears the typical features of late mediaeval castle architecture. Today’s ruin is famous for having held the Cathedral Treasures of Mainz in 1374 as well as the election of the Archbishop of Mainz, Konrad II. In the course of the Palatine War of Succession in 1689, the striking shield wall castle was finally destroyed. Today, the ruin of the twin-towered complex can be visited from the outside; the Rheinsteig trail runs not far from the complex.
Rheinstein Castle was the first castle to be rebuilt in the 19th century in the wake of the Rhine Romanticism movement. Romantic corners and terraces in the family-owned castle offer visitors stunning views of the Rhine Valley. The interior features valuable glass paintings, antique
furniture and armour from several centuries. „Kleiner Weinprinz“ offers dining and a direct view onto the castle.
Tel.: +49(0)6721-6348, email@example.com
The narrow point of the Rhine at the Binger Loch was the perfect place to collect transit tolls. The watchtower was built on a small island in the river at the beginning of the 14th century. “Mouse Tower” (Mäuseturm) is derived from the Middle High German word “musen” (to lurk).
Red wine arbour in Assmannshausen
The arbour was originally built for a German film production and stands in a prominent position above Assmannshausen surrounded by the steep vineyards of the Höllenberg. Just a 30-minute walk along the Wild Herb Trail from the village of Assmannshausen, the arbour offers splendid views of the Romantic Rhine Valley and makes an attractive stopping point.
Ruin of Hindenburg bridge
With a length of around 1000 metres, the Hindenburg Bridge was the second longest bridge over the Rhine. Opened in 1915, it was destroyed during World War II. Since 2002, its remains have marked the easternmost point of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the “Upper Middle Rhine Valley”.